Air Today . . . Gone Tomorrow Article|
'Toxic soup' at Ground
By Rachel Clark, Disaster
News Network, September 14, 2002
"When the towers came down, all that's toxic in there -- when crushed and burned --
is very deadly," said Florence Coppola of United Church of Christ (UCC) National
Disaster Ministries. "When all of the different items came together, there's no way
to know what they formed. It's beyond asbestos, there's mercury and unknown
In conjunction with the New York Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NYCOSH), as
well as Mt. Sinai Medical Center, the United Church of Christ is trying to help people who
have been affected by the chemical-laden dust that coated parts of New York City and New
Jersey when the trade centers collapsed Sept. 11, 2001. "We're trying to deal with
these issues," said Coppola. "To help people who live in the neighborhood whose
homes were never properly cleaned, we're responding to concerns for schoolchildren who for
months breathed all the stuff in the air."
According to Joann Hale, who is also working with UCC on this issue, the chemicals already
present in office buildings are a hazard to anyone breathing the air. "We're looking
at the asbestos, the mercury from computers that were there ... just the dust itself has a
lot of small minute particles of different materials," Hale said. The long-term
effects of breathing these chemicals have yet to be determined, but the short-term effects
have manifested in adult-onset asthma, wheezing and a hacking New Yorkers have dubbed the
"World Trade Center cough."
Less than a week after the terrorist attacks, NYCOSH issued an alert and fact sheet
informing the public about the dangers associated with the dust. "The dust from the
collapse that had blanketed lower Manhattan -- and some significant portions had ended up
in Brooklyn as well -- almost certainly contained a soup of toxic materials, including
asbestos, lead, silica, fiberglass, and concrete dust, which is highly alkaline,"
said Jonathan Bennett, public affairs director for NYCOSH. "We knew it contained
those things because we knew they were in the building because it already collapsed."
In August, the EPA extended its deadline for residents in lower Manhattan to request free
asbestos testing and cleaning in their homes. On Aug. 16, the EPA said that 822 people
requested testing and 2,997 requested testing and cleaning. "Some dust from the World
Trade Center collapse has been shown to contain asbestos and other contaminants," the
EPA said in a prepared release. "EPA believes this action-oriented cleanup and
testing program will reduce risk of possible long-term exposure and related health
However, the EPA is offering no assistance to business owners or residents who do not
request cleaning. Bennett said many tenants and businesses have decided to clean up the
dust themselves, but that can be dangerous. Bennett said people have the misconception
that the dust is not dangerous, because that was the initial response the EPA took to the
disaster. "People should not be exposed to this dust, or be exposed as little as
possible," he said. "Because it contains asbestos, which is a carcinogen. It's
caused lung cancer and cancer of the lining of the lung. There's lead poisoning, mercury
poisoning, fiberglass is a lung and respiratory tract irritant, silica causes silicosis,
pulverized concrete is extremely alkaline and causes very strong irritation to the mucous
According to Bennett, signs of exposure to these chemicals have already manifested in
volunteers and emergency workers who responded to the Sept. 11 attacks. "We know
workers who have been exposed to this dust and gotten it in their respiratory tract and
have come down with symptoms of respiratory stress," he said. "We've seen cases
of adult-onset asthma. Fifty firefighters are on disability as a result of exposure to the
dust when they were doing the rescue and recovery work on the site. So we know this stuff
is definitely very hazardous and we think people must have been exposed to it."
Hale also noticed that disaster responders were affected by the toxic dust. "In the
beginning, people were exposed: The Red Cross, Salvation Army -- not just those at Ground
Zero, but also those near Ground Zero and some of them live there and they're exposed all
of the time."
Coppola said people need to think not only of those who perished in the fallen trade
center towers but of the hundreds of people who volunteered to help recovery efforts.
"People have respiratory problems," she said. "Paid and volunteer workers
who spent time at Ground Zero are now having adult-onset asthma, and these are people who
have never suffered before. Thinking more in terms of not only people who died, but
survivors, they're part of those who that day were covered in ash with things that are
unknown and are now at risk because they had first contact. These are firefighters,
construction workers, volunteers with The Salvation Army and Red Cross and others who were
there for months."
The way to avoid further health risks, Bennett said, is to clean up this dangerous dust.
But the dust is so light, it's difficult to clean without getting it back into the air.
"It needs to be cleaned up in ways that minimize exposure of workers who do the
cleaning," he said. "We think it would be very hazardous for a tenant to try to
clean up their own apartments. They would be very unlikely to have the equipment and
FAIR USE NOTICE
This article contains copyrighted material, the use of which has not always been
specifically authorized by the copyright owner. I am making such material
available in my efforts to advance understanding of democracy, economic,
environmental, human rights, political, scientific, and social justice issues,
among others. I believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted
material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance
with Title 17 U.S.C. Section
107, the material in this article is distributed without profit for research
and educational purposes.
Take me back to learn more